First of all, did you know that you can download audiobooks for free from your local library? It's true! All you need is a library card. I'm loving it! I listen to it on the treadmill so I don't get so bored (note: Victor Hugo is not good treadmill listening). I listen to it on those days when I just need a little something to keep me entertained I guess while I hang out with Sam, or while I scrub the floor, or whatever. I highly recommend it. I guess I'm not sure if they offer this service outside of Utah, but I sure hope so because I'm loving it. The selection isn't the greatest, but you can find some good classics. Anyway, that's just a little something that has made my life even more enjoyable lately.
And on the subject of books, does anyone have a recommendation for a good book on parenting? We are starting Children are from Heaven which we got from the Asmus's driveway freesale, but I was just wondering if anyone has one they love. Thanks!
Now for Sam:
Ok this isn't Sam obviously, but doesn't this grape look more like a pumpkin?
This is Sam peeking at his baby cousin Ava who was born at about 34 weeks. She is tiny! Sam is no longer the tiniest baby to be born in our family, but I think she might pass him up soon at the rate she's gaining weight (and at the rate Sam hardly gains weight).

For Labor Day we went up the canyon and had a little shindig with Dave's family including his parents and Rachel, Jeff and Abel, Kristen and Corey, Dan and Cassi, and Owen and Savannah. We all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly; even the bean bag game was fun. :) Sam really likes to sit in big people chairs.
I have a couple of cute videos too, but I think I'll save those for another day.
Last week Sam had a 15 month checkup to check his growth. Sam is still under 5% for weight, which the doctor is not too pleased with. So he wanted me to take him to get his blood tested to make sure he doesn't have any internal problems that make him super skinny. So I felt fine about that until I saw the paper he gave me to give the hospital that said "reason: failure to thrive". I didn't feel as good about that comment, but I whatever. Anyway, Sam's insides all appear to be working fine.
He was 19 lbs 6 oz I think. He is in the 55th% for height, down from 75% last time, but that was up from 50% before so he's all over the place in height. And I think he was 75th before that. Anyway, he's doing fine with height.
Things that Sam likes to do are:
Climb on top of the couch and look out the window, knocking to get the attention of the trees I guess.
Play with other kids and animals.
Go outside (all day every day if he could) and sit in the car pushing buttons and occasionally trying to sneak in a horn honk.
"Read" books, go to the library.
Use kitchen utensils to "cook"
Take a bath until I start to actually wash him.
Lead the music in church. (He watches the chorister and waits until she begins.)
Fold his arms when we pray.
Cuddle at bed time-the moments we live for-there is something just priceless about it.
Run.
Watch the daycare kids play through the back corner of our fence...poor kid-they have so many more toys over there.
Go...anywhere.
Words:
"Dede" for kitty
dog (sometimes it sounds like it more than others, but I think this was his first word.)
bird
brr if it's cold outside and I say it.
more-and he hold up his plate when he says it. It's cute!
da means ball. He's stuck on that one-it's been da for a while.
blue (although he's not very good at choosing the right time to say it)
mama and dada if he really wants something.
Plant and Light sound about the same...and kind of like ball to actually. :)
I think there are some others he has said, but these are the most consistent. I know he said flowers a couple of times, but I don't know if he remembers.
It's fun for us to see him grow and develop...thrive even! :)
8 comments:
Dont worry about the failure the thrive thing. Some kids just grow small. Both Chris and i had "failure to thrive" till we were about age 9. We just had really high metabolisms. But we were healthy as can be. He is getting so big. And doing so much. Enjoy this age. They have independence, and are curious, but arent too defiant yet. It is the perfect age!
Considering Saqm a failure to thrive is like the time our pediatrician thought Rachel might be slow intelluctually because she wasn't talking at the level that he thought she should be at her 2 year check up. Funny thing is, she was talking more, with larger vocabulary and clearer then any of her brothers. Pay attention to Dr.'s but don't ignore your own common sense.
Fun pictures and details, Patty! Failure to Thrive sounds so scary, but I like what the others said about it. My little guy's weight percentage went from 25 to 94 and back to 25 in his first 18 or 20 months. I'm curious what your doctor's concern really is. His development seems so great in other areas, which is what my doc seems to pay more attention to. Anyway, good luck!!
I wouldn't worry about it they are saying the same things about Seth. He can come and play over here anytime!
I wish doctors wouldn't say these things to moms. It's really stressful to hear and usually produces the opposite intended result. I have to bring our little one in for a weight check next month but I'm sure there is nothing I can do to "get her back on the right line." I guess they just have to say something because they don't know what kind of parents we are. I'm sure they see kids that don't have to best home life. Anyway, good luck with the weight! ;) Have you brought Dave in to see Sam's doctor yet? I think if they get a good look at both of Sam's parents they might understand his slow weight gain. :)
Hi Pattie, this is Anna from Mountainwood! I saw your comment on Caroline's blog (my sister) asking about her sisters' blogs and thought I'd track you down. How are ya?
PS Feel free to check out our blog as well :)
I really like POsitive discipline by Jane Nelsen and a book that kind of helps you put the book into action is Positive Discipline A-Z, where there are examples to help you see putting the theory into action.
It helps you see how power struggles develop and how to avoid them and ultimately shows you how to facilitate responsible children. It's hard sometimes to do what it says. In fact I probably need to reread them.....
You can come look at them if you want to see if they're something you're interested in.
I really liked a book I found at a garage sale. It's called small beginnings and the best part is that it's written by a christian woman so a lot of it is centered on Christ. I liked it. Also, 'babywise' books are always good and they have a book for most ages. Sam is perfect. What a cute boy! I'm glad you found something to do while you're scrubbing your floors! I should try that sometime!
Post a Comment