Friday, November 6, 2009

Tribute to My Mom

Well I don't really know why I've been thinking about it, but lately I've been thinking about my mom and how if there is one word to describe her life, I think it would be the word 'service'. Growing up my mom was always helping people. I don't mean she was always doing service projects, though I'm sure she's done her fair share of those, but I mean she was helping individuals quietly and happily.

I can remember for a long time we picked up a family for church each Sunday because they didn't have a car. I don't know if that family's mom had any other friends besides my mom...and I think Susan Larsen too. :) No one gave her a calling to befriend them, she just saw a need and did it. I can remember their son coming over to use our computer for a social studies or science project because they didn't have a computer. My mom also taught early morning seminary for years.

Perhaps there were times when she put what she wanted before us, her children, but I can't remember any of those times. If they happened, they must have been few and far between. Our best interest has been and still is, it seems, literally her greatest interest. Oh...and there are six kids in our family and we (especially teenage me) required a LOT of patience.

She always (as far as I could tell) did her visiting teaching, even though they were at least a 10 minute drive away-and up to 30 or 45 minutes away I think. She also made time to be visit taught even though she is eternally busy.

I can also remember the time when a family in our ward lost their mother in tragic car accident. Their 3 kids (the oldest was probably 6-8 years old and the youngest was probably 2 I think) then started coming to our house after school because their dad was at work and they had no mom. I didn't think much of it because it was fun for me and not any extra work for me, but I can only imagine she was a lifesaver to that family for a few months (or longer...I'm not sure how long). Just off the top of my head I can think of seven people that were taken into our home on a regular basis, either part-time after school, or full-time living with us because they or their parents needed it. Some of them were just for a short time, but most of them were for months. And I'm the youngest so I'm sure there is much more that I don't know about.

Every once in a while I manage to do something nice for someone and Dave usually compliments me when I do, but all I can think is, "I'm just trying to be like my mom." Emphasis on trying...I'm far from her life full of service.

I guess I'm just trying to say "Thanks Mom" for your Christ-like example of a life full of service.

P.S. I know it would probably be better to just say these things rather than write them but I would cry (I have already shed a few tears as I've written this) and I really hate crying before anyone, and I just do a really poor job of articulating my feelings unless it is on paper...or blog in this case. Oh and the picture is of my mom and Sam last Christmas. It's one of my favorite from that trip.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. She even helps out where Jeff's mom would if she could be here. We love you Aunt Connie!

MaryAnne said...

I love your mom! She is the best! This made me choke up a little just reading it.

Paul & Connie said...

This is Mom - and I am crying!! I want you all [cousins too] to know that you are ALL miles ahead of where I was at your age. And I am so proud how how you are raising/ how you treat your children. And that is the most important service you can do. Thanks for being patient with me while I 'grew up'. I am so proud of all of you and I love you way way way more than words can ever describe.

Hinmans @ Swiss Mission said...

I agree! It made me cry too.
Connie, you are ahead of me, with rearing 6 kids and taking others in, continuing to run the Primary the whole year you were in bed with a broken back, and now taking care of our kids as well as yours, with their new babies while we are on a mission! I look up to you, even though you are my younger sister.
But I agree with you that our kids are way ahead of where we were at their age!

Mena said...

She was always an amazing example to me and helped me in many ways.