Hannah Mae was born Saturday afternoon. We came home from the hospital Sunday night. Monday morning around 8:30 I was in my room feeding Hannah Mae and I heard Thomas make a strange sound I hadn't heard him make before-like a yelp. A moment later he began to cry. A minute later Dave brought Thomas into our room and said, "I think Thomas broke his arm." His arm was sagging in the middle-definitely broken. We decided Dave and Teresa would go with Thomas to the ER. Sam and I would go take Hannah to the doctor for her bilirubin test which was supposed to be done by 11 that morning. Fortunately we hadn't sold the Prius yet, so we still had 2 cars and could go two different places at once. Unfortunately, both sets of keys went with Dave and Teresa to the ER. Teresa came back and drove us to the doctor, which I was grateful for because I was feeling a little light headed earlier in the morning.
After the bilirubin check and lunch I went and took lunch to Dave in the ER and saw Thomas too. They were there until 5 pm. I was feeling really tired, so I didn't stay long. Plus I was nervous about having Hannah Mae there in the room that Thomas was sharing with a man was in because he had been projectile-vomiting blood. Thomas was a champ. He was calm through it all, after the initial crying when he broke it. The doctors and nurses (according to Dave) were really surprised by how calm he was. Both the radius and ulna were broken all the way through.
They gave him something like laughing gas before they set the bone. To see if it was working yet they asked him to sing the ABCs. He couldn't. :)
Thomas below: one-handed egg dying. He may be ambidextrous by the time that cast comes off. They predict it will be ready to come off in about 3 weeks (5 weeks from the time of the break).
Thomas below: one-handed egg dying. He may be ambidextrous by the time that cast comes off. They predict it will be ready to come off in about 3 weeks (5 weeks from the time of the break).
I guess he didn't want to be outdone by the arrival of a baby girl.



1 comment:
Oh man! What a time to have a kid with a broken arm! At least you have a grandma around helping with everything. Thank goodness for grandmas! That is quite the x-ray. Yeesh!
Post a Comment