Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) Island




Last October my friend Paula told me she and her family were going to Mackinac Island, so naturally I invited myself and my family to join them.  She graciously accepted the self-invitation.  Then again, they had to cancel in the end, but I'm pretty convinced it's not because of me.  Anyway, we went to Mackinac Island, and I'm so glad we did.  It was our first trip "up north" as Michiganders call that part of the state.  We stayed in Mackinaw City and caught the ferry over to the island.  It was lovely!  While we waited for the ferry we entertained ourselves by trying to make facial expressions to match feelings I named.  I can't remember what feelings I named that elicited these faces.  They bring to mind "overjoyed" and "up to no good".  Ok, that last one isn't a feeling, but that's what comes to mind. :)


It's fun when they learn to smile for the camera.  Here's Hannah on the ferry boat.  I should probably apologize now to teenage Hannah for my lack of understanding of what to do with little-girl hair.


We rented bikes and biked around the island.  Dave was heroic and pulled Thomas and Hannah (screaming half the time) in a trailer. Sam rode his own bike.  I think it's 8 miles around the island.  Pretty good for a 7 year old! We stopped to take a break and climb up to a scenic overlook, pictured below.  There were many stairs to climb.  I loved this picture of Hannah and Dave ascending the stairs together.

We made it to the top!

Scenic overlook.  Was it worth all those stairs?  Maybe.


We couldn't resist the chocolate and fudge that was everywhere on Mackinac Island.  If you ask the boys, candy apples are a right, not a privilege.  They really were delicious.


I threw this one in for kicks and giggles.  Thomas is making some facial expression that I can't put into words (if you can, feel free to leave a comment), and Sam is too busy eating to be bothered with pictures.

No comments: