Sunday, September 2, 2012

Poland

Well after England we headed to Warsaw, Poland.  Dave was presenting at the International Combustion Symposium in Warsaw, so that was the reason for this leg of the trip.  Here is Dave in the Polytechnical University building where the symposium was held.  It was very pretty, but no air conditioning so it was hot some days.


This is a picture of us at the picnic.  It probably would have been pretty fun if we drank alcohol, but we don't, so it was a little dull.  But we met some friendly people that night so it was nice.

Dave participating in a nail hammering contest.  The mc on the left was actually pretty good at entertaining a group of engineers he didn't know, and not in his native language.  He did a much better job than I would have.  But that's not saying much.
 This picture is dark, but it's showing giant plate of food Dave got one day at lunch.  It took up 2/3 of the length of the table.  That was probably the best Polish food we had.  By the end of the week in Poland I was missing food that is familiar to me.
 This is a video of me making some pottery at the picnic.  Watch the cute man's reaction when I mess up.  He didn't speak a word of English.

Ok I know, you can't really see this because it's a picture of a picture.  But to me it helps me remember that 80-85% of Warsaw was destroyed during WWII.  Can you believe it?  I learned that Poland has a pretty interesting history.  It's been through a lot.
Poland was nice because we got to have all our meals together and it was, for me at least, relatively carefree.  It wasn't exactly carefree for Dave since he was presenting near the end of the week.  It helped knowing that our kids were very happy and were doing quite well with Grandma.

1 comment:

Cami Reschke said...

In that picture of you and Dave at the picnic, I couldn't tell if you were wearing an apron or if you wore a skirt over your pants. I'm glad it was an apron and not a skirt. :)