Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Big Owie

This week is kind of a blur.  Sam is still enjoying the 2-kid preschool, and I'm enjoying it too.  Above is a picture from preschool.  Spencer and Sam are wearing M hats that smell good-mmmmm they smell yummy. (Get it?  M makes the mmm sound.)


 The most notable thing that happened this week was on Tuesday.  He and Spencer were playing with a measuring tape (you know, the kind from your tool kit, not your sewing supplies) and they pulled it all the way out.  After a little while Sam came and wanted to be held.  That's unusual but I take the hugs when I can get them.  Then after a few moments he held up his hand and both of us saw that it was bloody.  He burst into tears when he saw the blood.  We quickly rinsed it and stopped the bleeding, and then he just sat sullenly on the couch.  It was pretty big and between his thumb and forefinger on the web part.  Spencer's mom said she recently had a cut there that needed stitches because it's hard to keep from re-opening a wound in that spot.  So we took him to the doctor.

Sam was really nervous about stitches, and more nervous about the shot to numb him up.  Fortunately he didn't need any.  It was a 3 cm horizontal slice.  So he just had it taped together and kept it wrapped up for a few days.  Three of his fingers also got cut, but we just have kept bandaids on them.

Apparently if you pull the measuring tape all the way out there is a sharper part that is usually inside, and I think that is how he sliced his hand.

There he is after we got home from the doctor.  He was very brave and didn't cry the whole time we were at the doctor.

On Wednesday night Dave had a 7:00 basketball game, so we all went to watch.  It was fun.  Of course it's harder to watch with kids, but I saw him makes a few shots. 

Also during the week Brooke and I did visiting teaching.  Sam got to play with friends during the week.  This is a picture from a couple of weeks ago, but it needs to be posted.  This is Sam's friend Jack.  I think they're watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  I just love how they are so close on the big couch.  

 And here's Thomas and Teddy.

Thursday night I got to go to book group.  It was a fun discussion on Cinderella Ate My Daughter.  I wasn't able to get the book in time to read it, but I did a little reading up on articles by the author, and apparently I didn't miss much.  But it sparked an interesting discussion.  The question is, why do we feel like looking good is SO important? And not just looking good, but looking perfect even?  And why does it seem to be more strong, not less, in Mormon culture?  Hopefully I'm not being too negative, but I really wonder about that.

Last night we got to watch this little cutie:  Lucy the Goosie as Sam likes to call her.


It's been a pretty good week.  It's seemed kind of long because I've been looking forward to next week because it's Spring break.  Yay!

I don't know what it is, but sometimes I'm just grumpy on Saturdays.  I've got to figure that one out.  I think I'm not busy enough and maybe need to manage my expectations better.

No comments: