
and enjoying it. And it has made me think about the value in having a record of the normal happenings of life. And it's pretty amusing at times. Take this excerpt for example:
"When we got home I had left a pan of spaghetti with hamburger boiling away on the stove. The house was full of thick air and pungent smell. I was feeling terrible about the whole thing when I opened the garage door from the kitchen and found that Dad [i.e.President Hinckley] had pulled the hose inside with the spray sprinkler on and had absent-mindedly turned on the tap. Water was hitting the ceiling and spraying from wall to wall to wall. I simply cracked up. We looked at each other in total disbelief and wondered whatever was going to become of us." (I added the brackets.))
Doesn't that just make you smile? I always enjoy the journal entries my dad sends too, even though they are similarly about regular life with nothing too outstanding going on. Anyway, so some of you (the nebulous you-I don't know if you're even out there...:) may be less than pleased about this, but I'm going to try to make my blog a little more of a weekly journal. Sorry if you don't like this, but I'm doing it for myself, not you. :) And you can always just skip to the pictures! So here goes.
Last week I taught RS. I chose Grace as my subject. I felt like it went much better than the last time I taught on covenants. I can think of a few reasons why that last lesson didn't go as well, and the more time that passes, the less miserable I feel about it. Anyway, I've been studying grace on my own a lot, especially the aspect of what is required of us. I think sometimes in the church we (especially women) get pretty discouraged, and I think we don't completely understand what is required of us.
These are some of my favorite quotes:
We are saved from our sins (see Hel. 5:10) by a weekly renewal of our repentance and cleansing through the grace of God and His blessed plan of salvation (see 3 Ne. 9:20–22). -Dallin H. Oaks
“It is present salvation and the present influence of the Holy Ghost that we need every day to keep us on saving ground. …
“I want present salvation. … Life is for us, and it is for us to receive it today, and not wait for the Millennium. Let us take a course to be saved today” -Elder Oaks quoting Brigham Young.
“I want present salvation. … Life is for us, and it is for us to receive it today, and not wait for the Millennium. Let us take a course to be saved today” -Elder Oaks quoting Brigham Young.
3 Nephi 9: 20-22 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost...Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth and be saved.
Elder Oaks also said that what is require of us is "continuing repentance, faithfulness, service, and enduring to the end."
The main point that I felt like I needed to learn is that Heavenly Father doesn't expect me to keep the commandments perfectly. He's not shocked and dismayed every time I do something I regret. What is required is a broken heart and a contrite spirit, a repentant attitude, and continued service and faithfulness to the end." So in short, I don't need to feel discouraged when I fall short again and again. Sorry-yes, but I think not discouraged.
Last Saturday Sam started a soccer class. He loved it. Although yesterday he actually fell asleep before soccer and he is not pleasant when he wakes up. We should have woken him up earlier. Anyway, we went and watched soccer, but no participation yesterday. I can't get the video from the first week to upload, but hopefully I'll figure that out another time.
Also, my parents got their mission call! They are going to England London South with a primary assignment to work with the Center for Young Adults. I'm really excited for them, and they are "delighted". They'll be spending 18 months in this lovely city (and thereabouts):
Oh also, last Monday at 5:30 a.m. we awoke to some loud rumbling and then a big jolt. It felt exactly like what is happening-like two pieces of the ground beneath you crashed into each other with great force. I can't imagine what an earthquake that does damage would feel like. No damage or falling objects in our house, though I did hear of some others who had a few falling objects. I have to say, I feel much more at peace because our 72 hour kit is ready. Although it made me think about some things I might want to add if we need it in the middle of the night. And it made me think about what I wear to bed.
We're trying to plan a camping trip for spring break. It's hard to find somewhere that's warm enough at night. I hope we can come up with something.
Also, tonight Sam was singing "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man" and he sings it like so: "The rains came down and the flowers came up. The rains came down and the flowers came up." It's kind of a hopeful message isn't it?
Also, a few times this week we have woken up after Sam and he has put away all the dishes for us that were in the drying rack. What a gem! (Maybe he's motivated in part by stars for being helpful which add up to receiving a dollar.)
And I'm going to include a video of Strong Thomas. I'm hoping I can get the one of Sam's soccer to work later....
2 comments:
Your post makes me happy!!
I like the thoughts on grace. Do you get BYU Magazine? The last issue (with the cougar on front) has a great article on grace by Brad Wilcox. I bet it's on byubroadcasting.org (or whatever kbyu's url is these days). You can only listen to it on byuspeeches.
I am so glad the earthquake was minor! I have been thinking about what I wear to bed as well. Also, where I keep my purse (wallet & keys) and shoes, and what kinds of breakable objects I keep up high on the kitchen cupboards.
I thought of you the other day when I had some mango juice. I'm so glad we got to visit you last summer!
I love this!
I wish I had known you were teaching a lesson on grace! Last week I listened to BYU or CES thing by Brad Wilcox on grace. It was INcredible. Here's the link: http://byutv.org/watch/49475abb-10d4-4f45-a757-7000b9945468
So so so so good. I've been meaning to send it to your parents too b/c I think it's something the youth and ysa's need to know.
And I'm glad your lesson went better than last time :).
Post a Comment