Sunday, April 22, 2012

Busy nights, camping

Last week was good.  Monday we went to the West's for dinner and FHE.  It was good food and good company.  The FHE lesson was on prayer.  Sam often doesn't want to say the prayer so this was well timed.  Today his sunbeam teachers said he always volunteers to pray.  What?!  That's so funny.  He's leading a double life, that boy.

I can't remember Tuesday day.  Tuesday night I went to a baby shower for Amanda S.  It was fun!

Wednesday morning was a bit rough, but ok.  I think the afternoon was better?  Wednesday night I went to voice lessons.  I felt tired.  The lesson was on breathing.  Am I getting it?  Sometimes I'm not sure.  But I did think today that I hope Keturah doesn't hear me sing in church because she might think, "Oh man, she's not getting it!"  But we'll see what she has to say come Wednesday.

Thursday we went to Little Farm.  It was nice.  Thomas wasn't as scared this time.  He still wanted to stay in my arms when the cows were in sight, but he got down to look at the rabbits.  I almost want to get a rabbit, but cleaning a cage is just too much.  Thursday night I went to a RS training meeting.  Our president is moving this summer, but secretaries don't get automatic releases when the President and counselors do, so we shall see.  I'm not hoping for one way or the other.  I feel content how things are.

Friday morning was unplanned and nice.  Friday night we went camping.  It's so fun!  The kids just love it, and I love the peacefulness of being out in nature.  It's some work to get everything packed up, but Sam is so excited that he helps a lot.  It was a great night for camping-super warm.  And you know the last time we went camping we were next to an LDS scout troop, just like we were this time.  Funny.

Saturday-after camping we tried to go to a ward hike, but the kids were tired, we were tired, my knee was hurting (don't know why), and we wanted to get home before the hike would end so Thomas would take a long nap in his crib instead of a short nap in his car seat.  Sam did manage to bloody his knee though.  That looked pretty cool, but once the blood was cleaned up it actually looked pretty minor.

Today was nice too.  Church was good.  We went to a little celebration for someone who was baptized yesterday.

Sam said something funny today.  We were in the kitchen and he was helping/watching me cook when he said, "Holy Cow, I think I have a testimony!"  So we had a short discussion about testimony.  He also told us today that "Adam and Eve were the first people were the first people on the earth, did you know that?"  We said that we did know that (and thought to ourselves, and didn't you know that since we've talked about them before?) and he said, "They ate fruit so they could have lots of children!"  Out of the mouths of babes, you know.  Thanks to his primary teachers.

That reminds me, I was listening to a talk on the fall (by Robert J. Matthews) not too long ago and my favorite thing that was said this, "Just as surely as salvation comes because of the atonement, so also salvation comes because of the fall (that was quoting McConkie)....  The creation would have been incomplete without the fall and the atonement.  Mortality is an essential step in man's salvation.  The fall was necessary to bring mortality.  Thus god's purposes in the creation would have been unattainable without the fall and the atonement....Our Savior's terrible agony and suffering was not designed simply to restore man to the Garden of Eden.  But it was designed to enable us to become exalted and become like the Father, and that is far, far better than the Garden of Eden.

I also listened to Sister Beck's talk from last year's RS General Meeting.  She taught me something new about Mary and Martha and about women in the church.  She said this: "I hope my granddaughters will understand that Relief Society today is organized after a pattern of discipleship that existed in the ancient Church. When the Savior organized His Church in New Testament times, “women were vital participants in [His] ministry.”1 He visited Martha and Mary, two of His most dedicated followers, in Martha’s home. As Martha listened to Him and served Him according to the custom of their time, He helped her see that she could do more than that. He helped Martha and Mary understand that they could choose “that good part,” which would not be taken from them.2 This gentle comment served as an invitation to participate in the Lord’s ministry."

Pictures will have to wait until tomorrow...it's time to get ready for bed.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I love what Sam said about testimony! And that quote by Sister Beck is good. Have you read much of the Relief Society manual, Daughters In My Kingdom? Somewhere near the beginning there are a lot of examples of other women in the early church and their role as disciples. I really enjoyed that part.

Heidi Perez said...

I love that about the Fall. That was something that my eyes were opened to on my mission. People don't understand the Atonement because they don't understand the fall. I loved teaching about the Fall and the Atonement. :) And I love that part about not being restored to the Garden, but being exalted. Cool insight.