This video records what typically happens when we listen to this song by Lex de Azevedo.
Lately Thomas has been really... unpredictable and stubborn. For example, on Sunday we were loading the car up to go to church. We put the church bags in the back hatch. Often when I put groceries in the car I let the kids climb in the back hatch first and climb over the seats into their car seats. This time, though, we were in a hurry so we didn't want Thomas go in the back and climb over. Boy was he ANGRY. He cried, screamed, and wiggled his way nearly out of his car seat on the way to church. (He knows how to get his arms out.) I climbed in back to get him secured properly, but he just screamed and fought it the whole way (13 minutes maybe). Then when we got out of the car and started walking toward the church he tried to run back to the car, presumably so he could climb in the back and over the seat. Well, again we were trying to get to church on time (and not give in to our fit-throwing child), so the answer was no. I picked him up and carried him, writhing and kicking and screaming (him, not me). A guy at the other end of the block looked back at us.
When we got to church I took him into the mother's room, which is really a lounge area leading to the women's restroom. He just kept going for the door, so then I was trying to hold him to keep him from escaping and disturbing all those peaceful worshipers. And from going back to the car which I'm pretty sure he would have. After a few minutes a lady came in, with the guise of going to the bathroom, but I think she really just heard Thomas and came to see who was being tortured in the church mother's room. She had some advice to offer, which was moderately helpful, but mostly her presence was helpful. She was standing by the door talking to me and Thomas was scared of her, so he didn't run for the door anymore. In fact, he crawled under a bench and kept crying there. It was actually kind of funny, even in the middle of it. She left after a while, feeling much more sorry for me than I think she should have. But I appreciated her kindness, and her presence!
Thomas finally calmed down enough that he let me hold him, after he ran for the door and I didn't let him to it. I made it to the hallway just in time for the sacrament. What a tantrum! He's had some other lovely ones, but that was the most dramatic-about 30 minutes. I think it may have to do with a molar coming in, and approaching the 2 year mark.
Monday we went on a BART trip just for the sake of riding on the train. The kids loved it. It was fun just to get out and spend a little time together. We rode mostly above ground which was nice.
Tuesday we went to the Jelly Belly Factory. Sam is in a constant state of pining for jelly bellies. In fact, on the way home he came up with a great idea. "How about if I stay in my bed at night we can go to the jelly belly factory the next day!" That statement reflects how often he stays in his bed at night, as well as his love for jelly bellies. I told him I didn't want to go back for a while. I started to say that he would probably get sick of going there, but I decided that's not true. The line there was huge-apparently we weren't the only spring breakers. But we stuck it out, taking turns waiting in line and walking around with the kids. So we got our free jelly beans, and Sam even bought a couple of his own 99 cent boxes.
Tuesday night we all went to watch Dave play basketball since it was a 7:00 game (as opposed to 8 or 9). It was a fun game to watch. At first it looked like the other team wouldn't be too tough (they probably thought the same thing). But then in walked the 7-foot man. But it turns out they still weren't too tough. We were winning for quite a while. And then number 30 showed up. He was just too good. So they lost, but it was close and it was fun, and Dave scored 21 points. Not bad! Right before the buzzer he made a lovely 3-pointer which always makes a person feel good.
Wednesday we did pre-school. Wednesday evening we went to food trucks for dinner. We haven't done it before, but it was fun. Unfortunately I forgot my phone so we didn't get to meet up with the Lymans, who are regulars. Hopefully next time.
Thursday we went to the temple.
Friday was pre-school again. Friday night I went to a baby shower for Anne Lowman. I'm so happy for her. She's my visiting teacher and she is great. She is thoughtful and checks in on me in simple ways-often via email. I appreciate her.
Saturday was General Conference. I wasn't as prepared as I wanted to be with things to keep the kids engaged. Next time.... But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I love the spirit of general conference. We watched it at home, which I have mixed feelings about. It takes more discipline to pay attention at home I think, but then I'd be taking the kids into the hallway if we watched it at church anyway. So maybe it's not so different.
This wasn't planned, but yesterday the boys made a home-made ball pit.
Something funny Sam said this week was, "Thomas, do you want to play with my feet?" Thomas was in time-out in the crib. Sam was in his room sticking his feet through the bars into the crib. Just trying to help his brother out. Funny boy.
5 comments:
That sounds like a great Spring Break! Sorry about the tantrums . . . Those are not fun!h
Ava had several tantrums like that around that age. I couldn't believe what she was capable of.
Love the Jelly Belly stories, cute.
Cuteness :). And Sam's question to Thomas sounds like something we would say to each other! Hahahaha!
Oh, and ps. I think Thomas getting his arms out might be solved by tightening the straps? Our NICU primary pres was telling someone recently that you're not supposed to be able to pinch the strap on top of their shoulder. Does that make sense? Even when I feel like it's snug, I can usually pinch a little, which means it's gotta be TIGHT!
Wow! What a great week! And it wouldn't be complete without a little screaming. :) when Charlotte gets to that stage I will have to ask you how you kept your cool through it all. The ball pit is totally awesome!
Thank-heavens we quickly forget the awful tantrums. I know that my boys threw tantrums but I just can't remember any of them. Hallelujah!!!
Post a Comment